It is not known exactly when John Wood gave up teaching the Penicuik Band. David Young however went to
Under Thomas Nevison the band steadily improved until his resignation in 1888. Nevison must have been a member of the original Reed Band, as records state that he had been associated with the band for 50 years.
Among the red letter days during Nevison's time were excursion parties in 1851 to Stirling and to
In 1859 the Volunteers were formed. The band had accompanied the Volunteers on marches and at drills. The Government issued an order that all bands being present at marches or drills must be sworn in. Captain Cowan and the other officers sent for Thomas Nevison to see if he would join. After making conditions for new instruments, etc., the band joined as a whole and it ceased to be the Town Band. The difference was scarcely felt as the Band continued to play at local functions, although in the uniform of the 2nd
In 1888, much to the dismay of brass bandsmen, the Volunteers introduced the pipes and the band was broken up. During the 20 or so years that the band had been connected with the Volunteers, the instruments had been renewed. The Company claimed that the instruments belonged belong to them and duly kept them. The situation was resolved however when the officers put a comparatively small price of £45 on the instruments. Subscriptions were again raised, a Committee appointed, and the instruments became the Town's property.